28 years later...
The road trip home was uneventful, although we almost lost one of the headlights. Thankfully, a roll of duct tape solved that problem.
I was really stressed about the border crossing, but I have to say, everyone I spoke with on the Canadian customs and the US customs side was incredibly helpful and accommodating, and we were through the process in less than an hour. It certainly helped to do all the background homework etc ahead of time, and if anyone is looking to bring a vintage US car into Canada - feel free to send me a note and I can explain the process. It likely helped that we were at the Windsor/Detroit crossing at 1:00 am too.
We arrived home around 4 am, crashed at our house and were up again way too early for our own good... but wanted to get the car off the trailer and stored.
The first stop was my Dad’s garage. No, he doesn’t own a garage... I just mean his actual garage attached to his house.
Over the next few weeks, Riley and I started removing the interior to get a sense of how much rust there might be in the pans etc. There were a few isolated holes that will need to be cut out and patched, but overall, I was very pleased to see how solid it was.
I like to think that this little black button by the hand brake was installed by Q.
We moved the car from my Dads garage in the middle of November so he could park his own car out of the snow. We found a short term site for a few months until this past Friday, when we moved it to the high school.
I have spent a fair bit of time talking to the instructor about this project, and while there is certainly the danger of the first response happening - I am thinking back to myself in high school and am choosing to hope for the latter. The opportunity for learning and rewards of a great project like this outweighs the fear, and I am willing to take the chance. It is also a great opportunity to work with Riley (and hopefully Lucas at some point), on a project together.
In other news, I had a pretty significant left shoulder/arm/hand injury in early December. There wasn’t a specific event - just too much working on the house and in the shop without any breaks or time off. It appears to have been a bit of a perfect storm for an injury because multiple areas were affected. I have seen a good friend who is an orthopedic surgeon, had x-rays, ultra-sound, been to acupuncture, massage therapy, an osteopath and our voodoo doctor - all of them assure me that I will recover from this. What is not known is how long it will take, and to what extent.
Right now, the biggest challenge is the pronation of my left hand. Pronation is the ability to rotate your hand in when your elbow is at your side. This lack of movement has affected my ability to type (which has improved enough to write this), but writing and drawing are still very challenging and not very pretty.
It has been a little over 8 weeks and I am just now getting into the shop to do some very basic, non planemaking tasks. The fine motor skills required for planemaking are likely going to take some time, but I will use this forced down time to do other things... like go back to school and pretend I am 17 again... and learn something totally new... which when I think about it - is pretty awesome.