Monday 1 October 2007

Sidetracked


I was planning on roughing out some more infill sets – but got blissfully sidetracked. My goal was to rough out a few more Ebony front buns for some A5ss’s, a few more A1 panel plane handles and front buns and a couple XsNo.4’s. As I was gathering the various pieces of Ebony, I noticed the massive 9” long Ebony front bun for the 28-1/2” A2 jointer. It was one of those moments where I saw the negative space outside the chalk lines and thought “hey… I wonder if the off-cut from the front is big enough for the front bun for an XSNo.4?” So I put down the Ebony 2x4 in my arm and walked over – with my head cocked over to one side wondering “Hmmmmm….”.

“Well I’ll be darned – it’ll work!”

Note; this was phase one of the derailment.

So I figured I had better remove the front section of the bun just to make sure :) … you can see where this is going right.

But in order to do that… I had to square up the front bun for the 28-1/2” jointer – so I would have 3 sides square… it would make things so much easier. And if I was going to take the time to square the front bun… may as well fit it too.

Now entering phase 2.




The fitting went extremely well – a snug fit over the entire length… something I was a little curious about. With the block fit… it was time to remove the front bun for the XSNo.4 – what I started doing in the first place.

I gotta tell you – with that front “off-cut” removed (the XSNo.4 bun) – the jointer bun started looking pretty cool. I checked the time… yeah – I could do a little more.

A few cuts here, a few cuts there and it started looking even cooler. So I marked and dated the XSNo.4 front bun… that surely bought some more time on the jointer bun?

Firmly planted in phase 3.

The shoulders that transition from the tops of the sidewalls to the bun were next. Boy, they were long - about 8-1/2”. I removed as much as I could with a handsaw and then switched to chisels. This is some pretty sweet Ebony and it cut beautifully. Of course my Imai chisels worked flawlessly – whether I was striking them with a mallet or paring by hand.

With the shoulders done, I could further refine the bun shape. Here is where I left it at the end of the day.



5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous!

1 October 2007 at 19:51  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Konrad,
Great post. I notice you are coating some parts of the bun in process. Is this to protect the exposed end grain? The last few posts have been very good. I really enjoy the behind the scenes stuff. Also, the Carter handplane is real neat.

cheers, Jay

1 October 2007 at 22:35  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Jay,

Thanks. I do put a quick thin coat of shellac on freshly cut endgrain... just to slow down any moisture loss (or gain). I am not sure if I need to or not - but it makes me feel a little better:) Most sets are roughed out and then sit for at least 6 months - depending on the age of the stock the set came from and the species of wood.

Cheers,
Konrad

2 October 2007 at 06:56  
Blogger Philly said...

Nice way to get sidetracked, Konrad!
So I take it you have recovered from all that lapping? ;)
Phil

2 October 2007 at 17:30  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hey Phil,

Yeah - the jello has at least "set". Although the thought of lapping 28" of 01 makes me ache! I may send this one out:)

Cheers,
Konrad

3 October 2007 at 18:38  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home