Friday 9 November 2007

Worth 1,000 words.




But in case you want more details...

This was another "piece of a lifetime" find. I was at the Calgary woodworking show this past weekend and through a series of innocent and casual conversations - found myself staring at this huge piece of Ebony. The previous owner (I was told) was a rather eccentric lady who traveled the world collecting large pieces of exotic wood. When she returned home to Calgary she would decorate them with painted faces. After hearing this story, I had visions of rather fantastic artwork. This piece did not have any faces, but given the random application of blue paint and banana stickers... I think it's better that I saw nothing. And hey - at least it wasn't more General green!

The paper tag on the end was a great little touch to the story - and I will be sure to keep it attached to the 1" off-cut I take from the end.


2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Dix said...

Holy Cow!!! That thing is mammouth. Some guys just have all the luck :) Have an excellent weekend.

Andrew

9 November 2007 at 21:21  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Andrew,

Yeah - it is pretty massive. Thankfully, the person at the Canada Post drop-off in Calgary took pity on me because it exceeded their maximum weight by 1/2 a pound.

Have a great weekend too.
Konrad

10 November 2007 at 00:05  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home