Sunday 13 September 2009

No.4 madness!


It has been unhandled smoother madness over here the last several weeks. I am just finishing up my SNo.4 smoother (second from the right - more pictures below). Here are a few quick pics of three XSNo.4’s and the first two SNo.4’s.






Here is yet another variation of the XSNo.4. This is an all steel version infilled with African Blackwood instead of Ebony. I am extremely pleased with the results.



I wasn’t sure how the warmth of the blackwood would work with the cold look of the steel - but they work wonderfully together. It is also nice to see the little bit of grain showing through - a subtle departure from the dead black of Ebony.





And here is my SNo.4 smoother. I was looking at my own planes a few weeks ago, and realized that I did not have a typical traditional British plane - steel sides, bronze lever cap and Rosewood infill. I was a little relieve to be honest - it is getting tough to come up with new combinations of sidewall and infill material.



I decided to treat myself to a wee corner of some Curly Rosewood. Here is a detail shot of the rear infill after the first coat of french polish. I can’t wait to see it after 12 coats! And it looks like I will be able to complete it in time for the show in England later this week.

9 Comments:

Blogger Adrian Baird Ba Than said...

that blackwood & steel combo is absolutely phenomenal,might need to get one for my 40th(I have 5 years to save up...)

14 September 2009 at 13:36  
Blogger Philly said...

Wow! A cool looking bench of smoothers!
Can't wait to see your new plane in the flesh next weekend :)
Philly

14 September 2009 at 14:08  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Adrian,

Now that there are a dozen coats of french polish - it positively glows! I wish I could take credit for the combination - but this was a customers idea.

Cheers,
Konrad

14 September 2009 at 20:45  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hey Phil,

Yeah - next weekend is getting pretty close now:)

see you soon,
Konrad

14 September 2009 at 20:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! Those are both absolute killers! Traditional in steel, but the wood is so special. That blackwood and steel has a wonderful glow to it.

Have a great trip!

Wiley

15 September 2009 at 20:47  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Wiley.

The traditional combination has sparked quite a bit of interest already - I had better start digging deep for some more figured Rosewood. And the blackwood and steel plane is totally awesome. Thanks to Chris for suggesting the combination.

I had better start packing now.

Best wishes,
Konrad

17 September 2009 at 07:17  
Blogger tomausmichigan said...

Konrad

The African blackwood and steel plane is just TOO beautiful. Somehow that combination got me thinking of a mitre plane I saw somewhere. Isn't that mitre plane in your joinery section ABW and O1?

Great work!

Tom

18 September 2009 at 22:53  
Blogger mckenzie said...

Stunning Work Konrad. Your going to make some people feel very happy

22 September 2009 at 23:24  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Tom. The steel mitre plane is infilled with some dark Brazilian Rosewood... blackwood would also be quite stunning... hmmmmm:)

Cheers,
Konrad

23 September 2009 at 10:38  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home