Friday 23 June 2017

The first customer set of KS shoulder planes


When I injured my shoulder last Decemeber, I was 96% of the way through a set of KS shoulder planes. I was on a roll, I was totally in the zone and it all came to a grinding halt. All that remained were the chamfers on the smallest size - the KS.5.



I walked past that plane for months, wondering and waiting for the day that I could get back to working on it. I knew I wasn’t ready most of the time, but there was a moment where frustration (and my shoulder) started to feel like the time was getting close.

There were 2 issues I was wrestling with. The first is that chamfers do not leave much margin for error - mistakes at the chamfer stage are catastrophic. The other issue is working steel is much harder than working with bronze.




I started working on a customers plane - a bronze sided XSNo.4 (the one in the previous post). This gave me the confidence to know that I was well enough to do the chamfering, so I slowly started into it. It went very well, and in a few days, was applying the first coat of french polish - an exciting stage of any plane build.



I was also really worried that the chamfers on the last plane would not match the first 4. I knew my pace and method of work had changed significantly and wasn’t sure if that would factor in or not. I am thankful that pace and strength didn’t seem to change anything. It was a real thrill to be able to unite the full set of completed planes.




This set is infilled with quarter sawn Desert Ironwood - a stunning material that has become very popular. I will post some photos of these along side my own African Blackwood prototype set for comparison. There is a link under pricing (to the right) that gives the specs as well as some photos of the Blackwood set.
 


The top view shows the effects of scaling the set. 










9 Comments:

Blogger jon said...

Wow! Let me put my eyes back in the sockets. Those are incredible.
Jon

23 June 2017 at 12:49  
Blogger Bob said...

Really happy for you Konrad. Get set of pics of the set. The money shot for me is the second one down of the set series.

24 June 2017 at 09:30  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Jon.

24 June 2017 at 09:40  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Bob.

Interesting that I posted that one on instagram this morning... after reading your comment:)

cheers,
konrad

24 June 2017 at 09:41  
Blogger kevjed said...

What a joy it is to see that family of planes complete and together. You are a true artisan Konrad.
What a lovely addition to the K series.

24 June 2017 at 17:14  
Blogger Bob said...

Well two pics down from what you posted I really like as well. To me, it shows off the completeness of the set. The facets and light clearly show each as a member of the same set. Most excellent.

25 June 2017 at 09:39  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thank-you Kevin.

cheers,
konrad

25 June 2017 at 11:05  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Bob.
cheers,
konrad

25 June 2017 at 11:05  
Anonymous Greg Gimbel said...

Good lord those are a work of art, I would be afraid to use them!!

25 June 2017 at 13:09  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home